Notice: Use of this site constitutes your acceptance of these Terms of Use.


Cutter Air Museum

(Musée d'Air de Cutter)


St Hubert, the Seiber Islands



The Corky McCorkle Exhibit



NEW!! The Museum are also pleased to announce that cataloguing is almost complete on the virtual cornocopia of materials discovered six months ago in an old conex container behind “Corky's Office”.  Although it was originally thought that the materials would be limited to "Corky Memorabilia", a number of boxes--apparently given to Corky at some point for safekeeping--belonged to such other notables as Jake Cutter and Quinton McHale. Despite their years of storage, most of the materials are in remarkably good condition and will undoubtedly be of inestimable value to historians.

Due to space limitations at Corky's Office, a new exhibit showcasing these materials is being prepared at the St Hubert Hangar. Please check this site for news of its opening. In the meantime, some of the materials may be viewed here.


A special part of the Cutter Air Museum is the Corky McCorkle Exhibit located in what is a pub adjacent to the Cutter Air Terminal known as "Corky's Office".1 

Among the many artifacts on display at Corky’s Office is Jake Cutter's jacket , Jack's famous glass eye and eyepatch, and the following postcard that Corky sent to Jake Cutter soon after Corky arrived at the Bilibid Prison Hospital in the Philippines with a boatload of British and Dutch prisoners on August 24, 1944:


The Museum hope to soon obtain Corky's handwritten memoires, which were the basis of many of the episodes of the 1980's American televison series, Tales of the Gold Monkey.  For additional materials on display at Corky's Office, click here.



1 The pub was named after the original “Corky’s Office”, which was located in one of the Museum’s USAF Consular Support Buildings. This is the “official” story of how the office got its name:

After Corky McCorkle’s release from a Japanese POW camp and return to the Seiber Islands, Jake Cutter made him Chief of Maintenance and Operations of the Seiber Islands Division of WOAC (now Seiber Airlines). In early 1946, Jake regretfully asked Corky to step down as M&O Chief and, still reporting directly to him, take charge of the Division’s “reserve” aircraft.

Corky was assigned a small crew of mechanics and an unused hanger and couple of other temporary buildings which had been built and used by the U.S. Army Air Corps during WWII.  Fortuitously, their first task involved a WOAC Branta—a plane very similar to Cutter’s Goose —and Corky proved not only that he had lost none of pre-war skills as a hands-on mechanic, but could be an effective leader as well. 

The original “Corky’s Office” was, in fact, just his office.  But it did just happened to be in the same building as what had been the American’s Officers’ Club.  During the late 1940’s and 1950’s, the old Club was occasionally used by Corky and his employees as a place to have a short celebration on the successful conclusion of a difficult project.  It also became the place to store and display various “artifacts” recovered from aircraft they had worked on, e.g., a propeller from Cutter’s Goose and a brass monkey found stuffed in a space in the aft of Cutter’s Goose which appeared identical to the one in the famed Monkey Bar.

In 1966, Corky retired from WOAC, just after overseeing the construction of new maintenance facilities at the airport.  Upon retirement, he joined the Seiber Islands Aero Museum (now the Cutter Air Museum), becoming its first Chief of Aircraft Maintenance and Restoration.  Jake arranged to have the U.S. buildings (along with their artifacts, equipment, as well as a number of WOAC’s “reserve” aircraft) transferred to the Aero Museum at that time.

 Updated 05/22/14